[Verse-dev] Verse spring cleaning

Emil Brink verse-dev@blender.org
Thu, 29 Apr 2004 18:47:59 +0200 (MEST)

Hello.

I've talked to Eskil (not just off-list; face to face even!) about
the various issues I mentioned in my messages from earlier today. We
agreed on changing/cleaning up most of them, and I've begun doing so.

This means that soon (when I start checking changes into CVS), the
version of Verse held there will be even more incompatible with the
other packages released by Eskil.

While this is problematic in theory, we simply advice people to hold
off from staying in synch with CVS until we've made the "release"
Eskil talked about, at which point we will have a known, stable ver-
sion of the API and protocol to work against.

Some changes done (mainly to verse_header.h, which ends up as the
first part of verse.h during build) so far:

* Added V_RELEASE_* symbols for release versioning info.
* Changed around almost all method parameter type symbols.
* Changed field names in the VNOParam union.
* Similar changes in VNTagType and VNTag declarations.
* Fleshed out VNMLightType (now supports different types of back
  light).
* Changed "double" into the proper "real64" in VNMRampPoint.
* Harmonized material fragments to use "mapping", not "control"
  in most cases.

I've also done the required "porting" in the actual implementation
code, to keep it building and in sync internally, of course.

Then, being on kind of a roll here, I did the following:
* Changed geometry commands that contained the word "integer" to say
  "int" instead. So it's now g_vertex_set_uint32 and so on.
* Also changed the relevant geometry layer type constants.
* Updated server geometry node code for this change.
* Changed integer to int in bitmap layer types, and also added the
  'u' because they are actually unsigned (according to server code).
* Updated server bitmap node code for this change.

With these changes done, I'm starting to feel a bit more ready for a
release. Eskil and I will check over things tomorrow, I assume.

As of now, all the above changes are in CVS (logged as "Spring
cleaning", even) and the project builds from scratch without
problems. I'm going home.

Regards,

/Emil