[Verse-dev] New compositor app for verse

Brecht Van Lommel blendix@pandora.be
29 Nov 2003 18:55:12 +0000

Hi,

I just released a new version of the gimp plug-in. No new features, just
some bug fixes (e.g. big images work now), some fixes to make it work
better with compositor, windows binaries compiled with the latest
version of verse and a fix to make the plug-in work with the new gimp
1.3.23. It also includes a slider to change the update speed in both
upload and download directions. I also found a website distributing gimp
1.3 binaries for windows, with a nice installer.
You can find the plug-in at:
http://users.pandora.be/blendix/verse/

The new Compositor app seems to be working pretty good. It has some bugs
you are probably aware of. First, it crashes sometimes when a bitmap
created by the gimp is on the server. I'm not sure what the cause is, it
seems to happen somewhat randomly. Another problem is that the text on
the blocks moves on the block itself when the block is moved. This might
be intentional (thinking of the text shadow in Nil Salentinn :), but
when the blocks are near the edges of the window the text is not
readable. A third problem is that the text is too small, or at least the
spacing between the characters and lines, on a resolution lower than
1280x1024. The program also sometimes crashes when you close a block.
Another strange thing is that Compositor keeps sending tiles from the
resulting image to the server, even when it has been completely
uploaded. What is strange also is that the app writes the configuration
to la_config.cfg and reads it from config.cfg.

Compositor is very nice, though. It's impressive to have such a huge
amount of block available from the first release. I had some fun playing
with them. I was especially cool to see an image (128x128) loaded onto
the verse server from the gimp being processed by compositor and again
downloaded from the server to the gimp, in realtime, with about 1 second
delay. Anyway, i made a screenshot:
http://users.pandora.be/blendix/verse/gimp_compositor.png

I'll also not Compositor compiled just fine on linux, much like
Connector and Loq Airou.

Brecht