[Uni-verse] Audio demo situation?

Lauri Savioja las at tml.hut.fi
Tue Nov 14 14:12:29 CET 2006

Dear Gert,

This is a very short report. More details tomorrow:

1) All the HW is OK. We have computers, loudspeakers, cables,
converters, etc. running.

2) Audio rendering is OK although the protocol problem is still
lurking around the corner, and might require some fine tuning of
parameters. Reducing the update rate at UVAS solves the problem in any
case, so we have a solution.

3) UVAS handles the small static geometry nicely. Handling of dynamic
scenes under debugging.

4) Geometry reduction reduces the large (70k polys) nicely downto
couple of thousands, but it still seems too big for UVAS. Further
testing on this still going on.

5) No testing with visual rendering done so far.

6) Max-plugin quite OK. Direct connection to UVAS seems problematic,
but work with this continues. We are not too familiar using Max,
e.g. moving a single wall seems to be difficult for us. Are we going
to get someone more professional with Max to run the demo for that
part?

7) The whole chain from Max to audio rendering under testing. We don't
have yet complete system running.

Regards,
	Lauri

On Tue, 14 Nov 2006, Gert Svensson wrote:

> It would be nice with a report from the testing in Finland as well.
>
> Best Regards
> Gert
>

> Emil Brink skrev:
> >[...]
> >>5) Rendering Have you tested the latest FHG renderer on the web site?
> >>Have you tested Quel Solaar on your HW?
> >>
> >>6) Many different models exists. Quality of the model is unclear.
> >>Patching to be watertight may be a problem More complex and visually
> >>pleasing models would be needed.
> >
> >I've done some testing with the first model from Slas' page, this one:
> ><http://www.pdc.kth.se/~slas/universe/models/model-snapshot-061108_0129_r1.vml>.
> >

> >I've only run Connector, and so far, results are ... making me rather
> >nervous. :/ Performance is rather low, and I don't know what can be done
> >to improve it.
> >
> >Some concrete issues:
> >
> >1) I noticed there is a lot of material in the scene (949 nodes), perhaps
> >   some objects should be joined into larger meshes? I'm not sure (Eskil
> >   can correct me, here), but I think that is more efficient.
> >2) What about sharing geometry? Browsing the node list in Connector, I
> >saw
> >   at least six identical-looking (to me) chairs. Are they distinct
> >objects
> >   in Max too? I would hope they could be expressed by linking to a
> >single
> >   chair geometry, from a number of object nodes. Any comment, Slas?
> >3) I never saw the interior of the room get rendered, in color. This
> >screen-
> >   shot: <http://unwind.se/connector-ist-model.png> took many minutes of
> >   processing to generate, but it has blank walls. Is this expected?
> >4) Connector uses a lot of memory, at least in Linux I think it is still
> >   leaking. I can look for that, but not very efficiently. When I made
> >the
> >   above screenshot, Connector was using over 1.2 GB of virtual memory
> >
> >Any ideas on what we can do to improve the situation are welcome, of
> >course.
> >
> >Regards,
> >
> >/Emil

Lauri Savioja
Telecommunications Software and Multimedia Laboratory
Helsinki University of Technology
PO Box 5400, FIN-02015 TKK, Finland
Tel. +358-9-451 3237     Fax +358-9-451 5014