[Uni-verse] Audio demo situation?

Peter Lundén plu at tii.se
Tue Nov 14 12:05:59 CET 2006

Why do we always do quantum leaps in complexity. First we got a model
with slightly more than 700 polygons, refered to as testscene. I thought
this model was quite nice for demoing the audio stuff, although I dont
know how it looked (I have still not been able to run Quellsolaar or any
other renderer except for the simple one). It works quite good, no
complexity problems.

The new model is almost 70000 polygon, for UVAS this is over 160 times
more complex (n*logn). Now we got serious problems to handle this
complexity in various Uni-Verse components (dont know how the geometry
reduction together with UVAS is handling this yet). I know UVAS cant
cope with the complexity by its own.

My conclusion is that we should stick with the simpler testscene model
and maybe add some furnitures and stuff for the reducer to eat. Its
better to have a simple working model than a complex one that is
problematic. I think complexity do not add so much value to the
demonstration. The main thing is to show that we can do real-time
acoustic simulations which has not been previously possible. It would be
nice to be able to make real-time simulations in complex buildings but
it is obvious that we are not really there yet.

Best regards,
--PLu