[Uni-verse] Re: Audio demo situation?

Lauri Savioja las at tml.hut.fi
Thu Nov 9 10:06:52 CET 2006

Dear Gert,

Thanks for your e-mail. The list of goals is very good. It is
achievable, but there is still work to be done to reach it.

You can find my comments on each issue below

On Wed, 08 Nov 2006, Gert Svensson wrote:

> The goal I would like to achieve is to have an interior model which is
> visually nice (with some complex objects) and be able to

We don't have such a model! It is urgently needed. Who is going to make that?

> 1) walk around in the model and hear the acoustic difference in
> different rooms

Not tested yet. This works with the old UVAS, but we don't have the new one yet. Otherwise OK.

> 2) change materials in a room with Max and hear the difference
> 3) move sound sources in Max and hear the difference
> 4) move for example a wall in Max and hear the difference

The Max-part is under testing, and there are problems. As far as I
know Mattias is working on this and Samuel is helping with testing. I
think Mattias would be the best person to describe the situation in
more detail, if required.

The old UVAS is not capable of these, so to get the testing to proceed
we need the new UVAS, and we should have it on Monday.

> This is my view of the situation:
>
> 1) UVAS a few bugs are still there Ludde promises to be finished on Monday

Yes

> 2) Reductions works ?

Yes

> 3) Protocol and sound rendering Works after some ugly hacks in the protocol

Yes

> 3) Material database Works but more materials may be needed

It seems that there has been some confusion. I thought that Max will
load the material database, but it seems that I've been mistaken. We
will make a vml-database of acoustic materials and load it to the
Verse server to overcome this problem.

> 4) Max plug-in. Works but some problems in Max 9 with sound sources,
> support for textures would be nice

Mattias?

> 5) Rendering Have you tested the latest FHG renderer on the web site?
> Have you tested Quel Solaar on your HW?

No.

Quel Solaar works in Windows. Linux version hasn't been tested
lately, but at least several months ago we didn't succeed in
compiling it.

> 6) Many different models exists. Quality of the model is unclear.
> Patching to be watertight may be a problem More complex and visually
> pleasing models
> would be needed.

True!

> What is the situation with the design of the audio house? Have you
> rented material to build it? Will it be covered or open?

The frame is rented from the Fair Center, and they will install and
unistall it for us. The room will be covered by curtains on three
walls (Tapio, please, correct me if I'm wrong)

> Would it be need of some discussion (IRC or phone) to prepare for next week?

I think we can make it by e-mail if you have good answers to the open
questions, most importantly a new model is needed.

> Best Regards
> Gert

Regards,
	Lauri

--
Lauri Savioja
Telecommunications Software and Multimedia Laboratory