[Uni-verse] possible maxbug

Emil Brink emil at obsession.se
Mon Mar 27 09:36:42 CEST 2006

eskil at obsession.se wrote:
> Emil are you listening?

Only now, been out of town for a while (Amsterdam!). This thread really
sounds like it should have been on the verse-dev list, but I guess you
can't have everything.

Martin's experiences with crashes on "fast" machines are really weird,
I don't have any relevant experience I think. The machine I'm using
here at work is Intel, 3 GHz Pentium 4 with hyperthreading enabled. I
haven't seen any of these mysterous crashes. Not sure what to think
about the timer wrapping theory, either. The performance counters are
larger than 32 bits, which should help. Of course, I'm not a Windows
person, so I might miss stuff.

>> Nope, it crashes here, but it is small dirty things in the code.
>> For example you get a run-time failure check (You use the variable 'drag'
>> without initializing it in some file at line 121...) and if you have a
>> debugger installed it will break the app.
>> This will halt/ throw (asm...3) an exception.

I don't quite get this part, either. I know the code still contains
stuff like that, although many have been cleaned out by me during the
project. Can't see why it should halt the application though, but per-
haps that's the debugger being very sensitive. Again, I don't have a
lot of relevant experience with Windows tools in this regard.

> Patch for this:
[...]

Cool, I'll try to apply that to the CVS code, every little bit helps.

Regards,

/Emil