[Uni-verse] Re: Reports for the review URGENT

Lauri Savioja las at tml.hut.fi
Thu Mar 16 15:51:49 CET 2006

Hi Gert,

Good point! I had forgotten this issue completely since early December
and it seems that most of us have the same situation. This was
discussed in the verse-dev list and the last mails were on Dec
2nd. Based on those mails it seemed that Eskil promised to try to take
a look on the server code and after that none has done anything to
this problem.

For the sound rendering demonstrator audio streaming would be nice but
we can live without it. For the functionality of the demonstrator it
is not essential but more it will show the capabilities of the Verse
protocol. Ludde, what do you think?

If you feel more safe to change the wording to a softer form on this
part, please feel free to edit it :-).

Regards,
	Lauri

On Wed, 15 Mar 2006, Gert Svensson wrote:

> Dear Lauri,
>
> thanks for an excellent report. There is however one paragraph I wonder
> about:
>
> "Audio streaming through Verse is still a missing feature from the
> renderer. This would
> allow audio streaming over the network. The streaming has been
> experimented during the
> project, but good working solution was not yet found. Researcher at TML,
> Samuel Siltanen,
> got streaming somewhat working separately of the renderer, but some
> problems were found
> in Verse code. After these issues are fixed the streaming code could be
> used as part of the
> renderer."
>
> This seem like a serious problem? Could you elaborate on the
> consequences of this problem?
> Would it be possible to address this problem before the review?
>
> Best Regards
> Gert
>

> Lauri Savioja wrote:
>
> >Dear Gert,
> >
> >Please, find attached our report on WP7.4 presenting the sound
> >rendering module.
> >
> >Regards,
> >	Lauri
> >
> >On Wed, 01 Mar 2006, Gert Svensson wrote:
> >

> >>Dear Partners,
> >>
> >>I start to be seriously worried about the status of the reports for the
> >>review
> >>and consequently the outcome of the review. Note that all reports should
> >>be
> >>sent to the commission on March 15.
> >>
> >>The dead-line for the economic reports has now passed.
> >>We have received reports from: HUT, Paregos and MinusPlus.
> >>Please respect that is takes considerable time to compile all reports in
> >>the different tables and formats required by the commission.
> >>
> >>Please also send updates for the periodic report as soon as possible.
> >>
> >>Several most important deliverables are still missing as indicated by
> >>the table below.
> >>
> >>I'm especially worried that the system specification is not completed yet.
> >>We need some time to make this important document polished.
> >>
> >>The report on the architectural demonstrator is most important for the
> >>review and the work with this report
> >>needs considerable effort.
> >>
> >>For a successful completion of the review reports we need full attention
> >>of all individuals and partners in the
> >>coming weeks.
> >>
> >>Best Regards
> >>Gert

Lauri Savioja
Telecommunications Software and Multimedia Laboratory
Helsinki University of Technology
PO Box 5400, FIN-02015 TKK, Finland
Tel. +358-9-451 3237     Fax +358-9-451 5014