[Uni-verse] Blender Foundation WP restructure

Ton Roosendaal ton at blender.org
Fri Jun 17 10:48:46 CEST 2005

(Sent again, so we all know the stats)

Since the reviewers clearly advise to restructure or refocus
workpackages, we would like to propose the following for the remainder
of our man months and WP contributions.

--------WP3: Protocol & API extensions
We have 3 months work unclaimed, will be transfered entirely to KTH.
(Purple)

--------WP5: Tools & Clients
I propose to rename the 5.2 workpackage in two parts;

5.2.1: Scripting tool plug-ins
Work on a standard set of plug-ins for the Purple environment.
- Blender will disseminate this via their open source channels (1 MM)
- KTH will develop plug-ins and coordinate OS contributions (3 MM we
transfer to KTH)

5.2.2: Blender-Verse
Work on the internal architecture of the 3D suite Blender to achieve
integration of Verse, including related improvements of the Blender
suite itself to make it acceptable in Professional environments. (9 MM)

Deliverables:
5.2.2a: Blender-Verse Demonstrator (Month 18)
5.2.2b: Blender-Verse Release (Month 30)

--------WP8: Evaluation / Validation

WP 5.2.2 (Blender+Verse) will be validated and evaluated within the
context of several practical sitations, including a 6 month Movie
creation project using Blender.

Proposal:
a) The WP should start earlier, not in month 27 but in month 19 (sept
2005).
b) WP leader + KTH + II should organize all public releases and
testing. BF only assists by offering our channels.

--------WP9: Dissemination

In addition to work on leading the WP, the Blender Foundation will
spend exploitation/dissemination work on:

- Setting up professionals based partnership programme, the "Blender
Network"
- Facilitation and support of official Certified Trainers programme
- General PR activities to communicate our market position and business
offering.
- Organizing events during Siggraph, and the Blender Conferences

-Ton-

Ton Roosendaal  Blender Foundation ton at blender.org
http://www.blender.org