[Uni-verse] Collada

Eskil Steenberg uni-verse@blender.org
Tue, 17 Aug 2004 04:43:44 +0200

Hi

> Collada is a new 3d file format, supported by Sony, and already being
> used by Alias, Softimage, 3DS, etc. Although I know Verse is
> different,  it is very interesting for Eskil & Emil to look at the
> specs Collada,  and especially check on the Siggraph paper pdf, since
> it has nice  information on strategy & vision of companies towards
> such format.
>
> The main developer of Collada at Sony, Remi Arnaud, I've met a couple
> of times. He is ex-SGI and ex-Intrinsic. Will be interesting to keep
> him in the loop on Verse development, and - some day - have a meeting
> with him to get his feedback on how standards can get supported and
> how  he sees opportunities for Verse within that scope.

I meet him at Siggraph too and talked a bit with him. (I have been in
contact with him before in my OpenGL ARB work)

I will look in to this even deeper in the coming days. Although i
believe that file formats have limited use (compared to verse, and
peoples expectations) it is still a good thing. Having a quick look at
the spec makes me believe that this is yet an other format fairly close
to rendering (it support primitives such as tri strips).

One thing to note regarding the "collaborating companies".One should
know that it is designed to compete against microsofts XNA. This is a
strategic move to promote development on the Play station 3.

I will E-mail them and see if we can work with them.

Cheers