[tuhopuu-devel] Re: [tuhopuu-cvs] CVS commit: tuhopuu3/source/blender/include BDR_unwrapper.h BIF_editsima.h tuhopuu3/source/blender/src editsima.c header_image.c space.c unwrapper.c

Matt Ebb matt at mke3.net
Tue Jan 4 01:15:17 CET 2005

On 2 Jan 2005, at 11:04 PM, Brecht Van Lommel wrote:

>   Ported stretch optimize to new UvIsland data structure, and tweaked
> it some:
>   - Only redraws every 0.5 seconds, instead of every iteration. No
> need to
>     waste cpu cylces there.
>   - Removed popup menu asking for iterations and precision. It now
> just keeps
>     iterating, until you press Enter. The precision option was mainly
> a debugging
>     feature.

Great to see this is back!

I realise this may be a lot of work, but I'll request it anyway - it
would be really really cool if the stretch optimise was interactive,
like a transform tool. i.e. Click 'Optimise Stretch', then move the
mouse in and out to determine the amount of 'relaxation', then click to
finish.

Currently it can be a bit difficult to time it correctly or precisely.
But from a philosophical/usability perspective, It would be nice if the
computer answered to me and not the other way around - i.e. the action
occurs when I am satisfied and ready, not when the computer is ready :)

If this idea is no good due to the iterative approach, perhaps might it
be possible to run the calculation over a few hundred steps and cache
the results for each step? Then the interactive transform-like part
could just go back and forwards through the cached data without having
to recalculate it for every mouse movement.

Just some thoughts anyway!

Cheers,

Matt