[tuhopuu-devel] new middle click transform constraining behavior

Bassam Kurdali bkurdali at slikdigit.com
Tue Feb 15 04:01:04 CET 2005

> I thought of that, actually, but it would always work
> all the time with translations and only in certain
> cases for others.
> Since translation is the only transformation that
> moves the "center" of the objects all the time, we'd
> need a separate behavior for other transformations.
I agree. of the scale-rotate-translate triad, this only applies to
translation. rotation and scale work great as they are. (scale
especially feels nice). Nonetheless, I urge/request implementing it-
sometimes niceties of interface conflict with cleanliness of design.

> It would be a good solution, but not general enough to
> my liking.
>
> I'm not against trying it though, we could make it use
> the transdata location center (have to account for
> multiselection) for grab and the mouse cursor for the
> rest.
>
> And you're wrong, it would actually be very easy to
> implement (I had it working like that at first but
> rejected the solution because it was a bit counter
> intuitive with multiselections and it wasn't general
> enough).
hmm. would it be possible to display a ghost "cursor" or transformation
center icon during a move? something with visual similarity to the new
lights display, that indicates the center of transformation and
orientation for multi objects. The simplest form of this could be a
thicker/bolder version of the object center axis being drawn at the
selection/translation center.

A further wrinkle I haven't considered is the other transformation
center modes ( 3D cursor, individual centers, etc.) It seems that these
have not been implented in object mode yet. I still think translation is
a special case for these modes, because it is largely un-affected by
them, whereas rotation/scale change dramatically.