[tuhopuu-devel] new middle click transform constraining behavior

Martin Poirier theeth at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 15 03:26:06 CET 2005

--- Bassam Kurdali <bkurdali at slikdigit.com> wrote:

> I finally have a useful comment! sorry if this has
> been said before,
> perhaps I was too dense to detect the language.
>
> My reaction to the description of the new behaviour:
> positive: It seemed
> a logical and elegant upgrade to the current method.
>
> My first reation to actually trying it: negative: It
> seemed I often had
> to move the object the wrong way to get where I
> wanted to constrain.
>
> The reason why: when I start a transformation, the
> mouse cursor and the
> object almost never align - they could be in
> different corners of the 3d
> window. If I use gestures, they never align. when I
> am transforming the
> object, I no longer look at the mouse cursor- I look
> at the object
> itself. to select the axis I move the object to the
> desired axis---- and
> it doesn't work! nothing hapens, or worse, the
> cursor happens to be on
> the wrong axis and get the wrong constraint.
>
> My request: that the axis alignment be based on the
> 3d object location,
> or that the 3d object effectively "becomes" the
> cursor, for the purpose
> of axis selection.
>
> logical? I think so, but it's up for debate. It's
> probably not that
> trivial to implement.

I thought of that, actually, but it would always work
all the time with translations and only in certain
cases for others.
Since translation is the only transformation that
moves the "center" of the objects all the time, we'd
need a separate behavior for other transformations.

It would be a good solution, but not general enough to
my liking.

I'm not against trying it though, we could make it use
the transdata location center (have to account for
multiselection) for grab and the mouse cursor for the
rest.

And you're wrong, it would actually be very easy to
implement (I had it working like that at first but
rejected the solution because it was a bit counter
intuitive with multiselections and it wasn't general
enough).

Martin