[tuhopuu-devel] new middle click transform constraining behavior

Bassam Kurdali bkurdali at slikdigit.com
Tue Feb 15 02:59:12 CET 2005

I finally have a useful comment! sorry if this has been said before,
perhaps I was too dense to detect the language.

My reaction to the description of the new behaviour: positive: It seemed
a logical and elegant upgrade to the current method.

My first reation to actually trying it: negative: It seemed I often had
to move the object the wrong way to get where I wanted to constrain.

The reason why: when I start a transformation, the mouse cursor and the
object almost never align - they could be in different corners of the 3d
window. If I use gestures, they never align. when I am transforming the
object, I no longer look at the mouse cursor- I look at the object
itself. to select the axis I move the object to the desired axis---- and
it doesn't work! nothing hapens, or worse, the cursor happens to be on
the wrong axis and get the wrong constraint.

My request: that the axis alignment be based on the 3d object location,
or that the 3d object effectively "becomes" the cursor, for the purpose
of axis selection.

logical? I think so, but it's up for debate. It's probably not that
trivial to implement.