[tuhopuu-devel] IOR table

Ewout chocolade at extrapuur.nl
Thu Aug 18 20:49:24 CEST 2005

Chris Want wrote:
> What might be better to do, and this is something that
> requires absolutely no coding skills, is to create
> a blendfile as a database of preset materials/textures
> (you can use the 'F' for 'false user' button to save
> unlinked textures. Then host it somewhere.

It's the last sentence that bothers me a bit. The whole point of
integrating it into the interface, is that people don't have to download
anything and then load that everytime to append a material from that
database.
If it would have to be this way, I think it would be better to have
these materials inside the default blendfile. But that would probably
annoy a lot of people, also because of the filesize. The best know free
database is probably SonixCarMaterialLibrary, which is 2.4MB (after all
the geometry is removed). Personally I think that's too big for default
If you want to handle material databases within Blender, you need a
different approach, probably with a special browser
(Blender.Window.MaterialSelector :o)). If you believe that's a nice
addition (which I doubt, really), I will consider implementing it.

Ewout