[tuhopuu-devel] Camera fly-mode

Ewout chocolade at extrapuur.nl
Sat Aug 6 18:18:51 CEST 2005

Chris Burt wrote:
> I would comment on the idea if I really understood it more. I can't see
> how controlling the camera is difficult at all. With zero effort I can
> traslate it on any axis I want and rotate it however I feel. I can't see
> how you can add *more* control. Try putting an empty in front of the
> camera and parenting the camera to the empty. Then transform the empty
> to control the view using the blezmo (widget). Might help..

I never argued you have more control with my method. I guess what I'm
trying to say is this: Having two ways of navigating a view (either
being inside a camera or just the viewport) doesn't make much sense. I
see no reason whatsoever to have these 'modes' operate differently.
I agree that with some practise, it's not necessarily more difficult,
but then again... the 'switch' from the current way to my proposed way
wouldn't incorporate learning new things. Then it would just be one
method of navigation in stead of two.
It just feels unnatural to me, treating the camera as an object rather
than a viewport. Besides, you'll always be able to treat the camera as
an object when you're not inside the camera.

Ewout