[tuhopuu-devel] Minnaert shader discussion

Matt Ebb matt at mke3.net
Tue Apr 5 01:10:26 CEST 2005

Firstly, thanks for this code, I've already found it very practical and
used it in this video tutorial :)
http://mke3.net/archives/2005/03/car_paint.html

On 4 Apr 2005, at 8:52 AM, Jorge Bernal (lordloki) wrote:

> IMO, i would changed the actual name of the Minnaert shader to
> something more
> like “velvet-satin-blender” shader to avoid confusions with Minnaert
> shader.

This sounds like a good idea to me. You could just call it something
simple like 'Velvet', though that name may be too specific.. 'Falloff'
perhaps? . Other apps seems to have no problem calling shaders 'Metal'
or 'Car Paint' alongside the usual Phong etc and it sure would be nice
and descriptive.

The way it works right now is great, it's nice and simple. I don't
think most users would care if it's the 'real' Minnaert or not, so
extra toggles or options for that would just serve to complicate things
unnecessarily. Most important is the visual appearance.

Cheers,

Matt