[tuhopuu-devel] Fork in the road ...

Jonathan Merritt j.merritt at pgrad.unimelb.edu.au
Sat Sep 25 11:45:51 CEST 2004

Ditto completely!

I was originally told that Tuhopuu is the place for new features to be
developed, but if this was any kind of rule, it has been broken on
countless occasions for non-trivial additions to Blender.

Currently, I don't have the time to work on extending RenderMan export
(this is only a temporary situation), but I could merge across the
current differences into a new "t3" branch over a weekend or so.

Is there any option to maintain "experimentally tagged" trees as part of
the main CVS repository?  It seems that much of the gcc project works in
this fashion (the AWT/Swing components of the gcj libraries, for
example?).  I don't understand the mechanics of it however.

What is the opinion of the main Blender developers on this issue?  They
could stand to lose future contributions if any contribution must be
complete enough to be merged into BF-Blender right away.  That policy
makes collaborative development of new contributions almost impossible
(as Paul Gregory and myself discovered).

Jonathan Merritt.