[tuhopuu-devel] RenderMan exporter.

Jonathan Merritt tuhopuu-devel@blender.org
Sun, 27 Jun 2004 17:37:44 +1000

Hi Everyone,

I have just committed the current RenderMan exporter code to tuhopuu.
This is not a "release", as such, just a merging of the code from the
temporary Aqsis-tuhopuu repository back in to BF-tuhopuu.  Please
remember that it's all very much a work in progress.

Currently, only the scons build system is set up, although Paul Gregory
will probably have the MSVC build system up-and-running quite soon.

If you *don't* want to use the RenderMan exporter, you should have to do
very little other than confirm that your config.opts file has been
updated when you next run scons.  Paul and I have tried to ensure that
the RenderMan-specific code is not compiled, except when support for it
is explicitly enabled.  (The only exception should be the DNA structs
for scene and camera.)

If you *do* want to play with the exporter, here's what you'll need to do:

    1. Install Aqsis (available from aqsis.sourceforge.net).  Even if
you're going to play with other RenderMan renderers, you still need
Aqsis for now since we're linking against it to produce the RIB output.
Preferably use the CVS version.

    2. Edit your config.opts file to turn on RenderMan / Aqsis support:
          USE_AQSIS = 1
          AQSIS_INCLUDE = ['...path to ri.h...']    # replace the path
if necessary
          AQSIS_LIBPATH = ['...path to libri2rib...']    # replace the
path if necessary
          AQSIS_LIBRARY = ['ri2rib']    # shouldn't need to be different
from this value

Then re-run scons with all available parts of your appendicular skeleton
crossed, and it might compile..., if you're really lucky and have been
good for at least the last 6 months. :-)

Please let me know if I've broken anything.  This is quite a large commit!

--
Jonathan Merritt.
PhD Student - Equine Biomechanics.