[tuhopuu-devel] 3D digitizer support for Blender?

Jonathan Merritt tuhopuu-devel@blender.org
Sat, 26 Jun 2004 19:18:57 +1000

Hello Everyone,

I am working on a project for which I would like to add support for a 3D
digitizing arm to tuhopuu.  I should probably first explain what these
wonderful little gizmos are, since many people will probably not have
been lucky enough to have had the chance to play with one...  Basically,
a 3D digitizing arm is a kind of input device, used almost exclusively
to capture points in real space for use in measurement, modeling,
reverse engineering, quality assurance, etc.  Faro and Microscribe are
the two manufacturers supported out-of-the-box by Rhino3D (which is what
I'm using when I'd like to be using Blender!) - you can find both of
them online.

In my specific application, I am digitizing bones.  I would like to have
the ability within edit mode for a mesh to:
    1. Move the digitizer around and view its tip position as the
position of the 3D cursor.
    2. Add points when I click the digitzer's button.

One option I would like to propose is a plugin type arrangement, where
different digitizer plugins can be registered with the GHOST system.
Different digitizers will implement a common interface that can be
expected to be within the capabilities of all models (eg: query of probe
location, registering of button events, etc.).  Ideally, the plugins
will be loadable at run-time, so that all of the hardware- and
platform-specific code required can be maintained separately from
Blender itself.

An alternative to this (which I see as much more practical) is to add
support for a digitizer using a Python script.  For my own application,
this seems the easier option, since the necessary mesh editing and 3D
cursor positioning methods are already available from Python.  However,
I think that eventually a standard interface to a digitizer from within
Blender itself could be very useful.

I will be proceeding with the Python script option myself, and will
contribute a script to add points to a mesh in edit mode using a FaroArm
digitizer.  I'm very interested in hearing what people think of the
"built-in" option though.

Jonathan Merritt.