[tuhopuu-devel] CVS merging.

Jonathan Merritt tuhopuu-devel@blender.org
Fri, 04 Jun 2004 19:18:10 +1000

Hi Everyone,

This is slightly OT, but I'm asking the question here because people on
this list routinely have to tackle this problem with Tuhopuu. :-)

I recently attempted the first merge of BF-Tuhopuu into the
Aqsis-Tuhopuu repository.  I followed the steps outlined in the CVS
manual.  However, because the original import was done without a release
tag, I additionally tagged all files prior to the new (merge) import.
That seemed to be the right thing to do.  So, the steps I followed were:

1. Tag existing Aqsis-Tuhopuu files in the Aqsis CVS:
       cd ~/aqsis/tuhopuu2
       cvs tag -c PRE_MERGE_1
2. Import from Tuhopuu in the Blender CVS to the Aqsis CVS:
       cd ~/blender/tuhopuu2
       cvs -d:... import -m "..." -ko tuhopuu2 BF MERGE_1
    (NB: -d:... points to the Aqsis repository)
3. Perform the conflict resolution stage:
       cd ~/aqsis
       cvs -d:... checkout -j PRE_MERGE_1 -j MERGE_1 tuhopuu2

To my horror, I discovered that many of the changes in the PRE_MERGE_1
files had simply been lost, and these files had been replaced entirely
by their MERGE_1 counterparts (no <<<<<<<, ======= or >>>>>>>).  As a
temporary measure, I have simply copied the .#* files over their merged
versions, where those files are Aqsis-specific.  This latest commit
still compiles under Linux, but it doesn't fix the problem of why
apparently no attempt was made to merge files modified in the Aqsis
repository.

Does anyone know what I did wrong?  Why were the files simply replaced
and not at least marked with merge conflict signals (<<<<<<<, =======,

One caveat here is that many of the files in the Aqsis-Tuhopuu tree were
originally imported into the repository in an altered state, and some
have not been altered since.  Could that be causing a problem?

If you can wrap your head around all of the above then I think you're
doing a very good job! :-)  Thanks,

Jonathan Merritt.