[tuhopuu-devel] Error question

Jonathan Merritt tuhopuu-devel@blender.org
Wed, 02 Jun 2004 22:55:23 +1000

Hi Trip,

I can confirm my earlier suspicions.  This error *is* due to some kind
of mismatch in the JPEG libraries.  With reference to the jpeg-6b
library, this message is generated in two places: jcapimin.c and
jdapimin.c.  The message is generated in response to different reported
and expected sizes for either the jpeg_compress_struct or
jpeg_decompress_struct.  However, in both places where the message is
generated, the JPEG library version (JPEG_LIB_VERSION) is checked
first.  So, unless an incorrect library version is intentionally being
passed, it is unlikely to be an "obvious" versioning problem.

Some possibilities that spring to mind:
    1. Maybe your version of the JPEG headers have been patched?
    2. Maybe the JPEG library was compiled on a different architecture
(with different sizes for the data types than on your current system)?
    3. Maybe there is some debug information sitting in one version of
the structs, but not in the other?

If you're confident with software building, I would recommend
re-installing the JPEG library (from http://www.ijg.org/ ).  Make sure
your Tuhopuu build process is set up to point to the newly installed
headers and library files.  Using scons, this should be a case of
changing JPEG_INCLUDE and JPEG_LIBPATH in your configuration file
(config.opts).  Then clean (scons --clean) and recompile.

If you don't want to try a recompile of JPEG, try changing the USE_AQSIS
variable in your configuration file to 'false'.  Then clean and
recompile.  Setting this variable to false will prevent compilation of
the blender_aqsis library, and will prevent compilation of the
Aqsis-specific code elsewhere in Tuhopuu.  If you still get the error,
you will then know that it is somewhere in the non-Aqsis part of Tuhopuu.

Another question: are you able to execute a clean compile of the "real"
Tuhopuu2 tree from the Blender CVS?

Jonathan Merritt.