[tuhopuu-devel] Aqsis export for Blender

Jonathan Merritt tuhopuu-devel@blender.org
Wed, 02 Jun 2004 17:33:19 +1000

Hello Everyone,

Since the recent "underground" activities by the Aqsis developers have
been discovered and posted to the Tuhopuu mailing list, I thought I
might take the opportunity to make a brief announcement.  The opinions
here are my own, but they reflect recent discussions I have had with
Paul Gregory (the creator and maintainer of Aqsis).

As many people are aware, Paul Gregory has started work on an
Aqsis-specific RenderMan compliant exporter for Blender.  This was
discussed on the Blender forums here:

http://www.blender.org/modules.php?op=modload&name=phpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=3102

Paul has made some heroic advances on his own, but to speed up the
progress of development, he decided briefly to set up a parallel copy of
Tuhopuu in the Aqsis CVS repository at SourceForge.  It is important to
point out that this is *not* a fork!!!  We fully intend to submit
patches to enable Aqsis export at some date in the future (hopefully the
near future!).

The reasons for choosing parallel development are briefly as follows:

1. To produce a RenderMan exporter delivered to the Blender community in
fully working order (rather than bits-and-bobs).

2. To allow all Aqsis developers to commit changes to the project,
rather than having to rely on (perhaps) one or two coders with commit
access to the "real" Tuhopuu.

3. To prevent interference with other development that is occuring in
Tuhopuu, and ensure the officially submitted patches are of high quality.

More information is available on the Aqsis website
(aqsis.sourceforge.net) in the Wiki and the Forums.  We welcome the
participation of any and all developers.  However, it's important to
remember that this work is still very incomplete.  One of the reasons
for choosing parallel development was to allow the final product to be
of the high standard expected by Blender users.  We would like to avoid
the "this doesn't work, so I'll never try it again" phenomenon.

Jonathan Merritt.