[tuhopuu-devel] Windows builds, gameengine

Kester Maddock tuhopuu-devel@blender.org
Fri, 30 Jul 2004 01:12:22 +1200

On Thursday 29 July 2004 21:45, Carsten Wartmann wrote:
> Kester Maddock wrote:
> > Hi Carsten,
> >
> > List of cards supporting Shadows:
> > http://www.delphi3d.net/hardware/extsupport.php?extension=GL_ARB_shadow
>
> As I understand this link Geforce2 or 3 need to software emulate things.
> However I have no shadow in the tuhopuu2 gamengine. Guess I have to tell
> the nvidia driver (on Linux, no tuhopuu2 on Windows atm) somehow to
> emulate. Will be doing a Google search.
If you look further down, the Geforce 3 should do it in hardware.
This python script will print the list of extensions supported by your
hardware to the console.  You need GL_ARB_shadow & GL_ARB_depth_texture:

from Blender.BGL import *
print glGetString(GL_EXTENSIONS)

Make sure:
1. Shadows are enabled for the scene ("Shadow", Render Panel in scene buttons)
2. Shadows are enabled for the light ("Buf Shadow", Shadow & Spot panel in
light buttons)
3. Clipsta & clipend are set correctly.  The shadows look better the closer
they are to the near clipping plane.
4. Only Spot & Sun lamps support shadows. (Point lights require 6 extra passes
and 6 textures - you can't use more than 4 textures without pixel shaders on
Geforce FX class hardware)
Sun lamps are a pain because they have an orthographic projection.  Scale the
lamp to get a bigger shadow area.  Evil I know.
5. Faces have the Light mode set.