[tuhopuu-devel] Aqsis exporter problems.

Jonathan Merritt tuhopuu-devel@blender.org
Sat, 03 Jul 2004 20:17:51 +1000

Hi Chris,

I think I've fixed this problem.  The answer is to link to libri2rib and
not libaqsis.  Sorry about that - I should have specifically pointed out
that libri2rib is the required library, since it makes sense to think:
"Ah, we need Aqsis, so lets link against libaqsis..."

Some background on this...

libaqsis is the core of the Aqsis renderer itself, whereas libri2rib is
a library that converts RenderMan Interface calls (like RiOption) to
statements in RIB files.  The actual renderer (whether it's Aqsis,
Pixie, 3Delight or whatever) is invoked by pointing it at the RIB files
that are produced by libri2rib.  This is the division between the
exporter and the renderer itself, allowing us to use fully GNU-GPL code
at compile time, and yet invoke non-GPL renderers at run-time.

One of my original complaints about Green's exporter was that he used
printf() statements rather than Ri calls.  This may initially seem to be
beneficial, since there is then no dependency on an external library
like libri2rib.  However, there's more than one kind of RIB file. ;-)
There are ASCII RIB files, binary RIB files, and all sorts of
compression and formatting options for both.  Hence the use of
libri2rib, which allows easy switching between the available formats.

Jonathan Merritt.