[tuhopuu-devel] questions about ODE support and Plug-Ins

Joschka Boedecker tuhopuu-devel@blender.org
Wed, 21 Jan 2004 22:29:45 +0100

Greetings !

I have some questions concerning the current ODE support and the Plug-In
capabilities in blender. I apologize if this is not the right list to post
these questions to, but maybe someone here could point me in the right
direction.

I am writing this on behalf of a few developers who are researchers in the
RoboCup domain. Currently, a new simulator for RoboCup's Simulation League
is under development, using ODE for physics simulation. While looking over
some slides at the ODE website, we learned that ODE support would currently
be integrated into blender. The slides were made in 2002, so we were eager
to find out how far these efforts have gotten until now. It would be nice
to be able to use blender to set up the 3D models for the simulator and at
the same time being able to edit their physics properties for ODE. Is
something like that possible in the current (or soon to come) version of
blender ?

As a second step, we would like to export the geometry and the physics
properties information to an XML file. Could a Python Plug-In be used to
this end ?

I looked at the ChangeLogs in the CVS repository and at several postings in
the forums on blender.org, but that was a little confusing. It seems that
currently, there are three different game engines under development, one of
which is supporting ODE, but I'm not even sure of that.

Any help on these topics would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you very much,

Joschka Boedecker