[tuhopuu-devel] IRIX Tuhopuu gameengine crash

Kester Maddock Christopher.Maddock.1 at uni.massey.ac.nz
Tue Aug 24 05:26:46 CEST 2004

On Tuesday 24 August 2004 05:15, Chris Want wrote:
> > Will test under IRIX on Monday.
>
> Works under irix now. Again, had to hack ghost to
> get the stereo visual (shouldn't "-s hwpageflip"
> do this?).
Looks like a bug in GHOST.  GHOST_SystemX11::createWindow doesn't pass the
stereoVisual parameter...  (Neither does GHOST_SystemCarbon - but OSX doesn't
honour stereo in GHOST_WindowCarbon anyway.)

> Another annoyance is that unless the
> game is run in fullscreen (-f), the escape key
> doesn't end the game ... this is the same behaviour
> on the other platforms, but really annoying in irix
> because the weird window manager won't close/exit
> the program through the widgets on the window and
> 'kill -9' has to be used.
In GHOST_SystemX11::processEvent, the window close event is #ifndef __sgi...
you can try removing that, it looks like it should work.

I'm not sure if this is the right behaviour anyway, ESC should be detectable
to bring up a menu.

Otherwise, link a ESC keyboard sensor to an end game actuator.

> So ... I guess the next question is: how hard would
> it be to get a multipipe version of the gameplayer
> running? Would that be a matter of creating, say,
> 3 windows on 3 screens and just rendering at different
> angles? I have (limited) access to a 3 wall cave at work,
> and I think this might be a nice application to run on
> it. Carsten: did Raymond ever do any cave stuff with
> game blender?
Probably quite hard.  You need:
1.  A way to render different camera.  This is also wanted by the game engine
community for split screen renders.  That way, you render three different
views onto one window that stretches across all 3 screens.  That way, you
just do 3 passes of the important bits of KX_KetsjiEngine::Render() (the same
way stereo does two passes)

2. Give each camera a separate window to draw to.  I think this is
encapsulated in RAS_ICanvas and it's descendants.  You need to find
everywhere that assumes there is only one canvas, and make it use the active
canvas.  Then you just canvas->Activate() before drawing.

Or, you could write network code, and have 3 blender processes all synced
up. ;-)

Kester