[tuhopuu-devel] gameengine eats all CPU on default scene

Kester Maddock tuhopuu-devel@blender.org
Wed Aug 11 04:06:07 CEST 2004

Hi Bjornmose

On Wednesday 11 August 2004 10:56, Bjornmose wrote:
> hi all .. and kester
> i think this one is for you:
> My latest tuhopuu CVS Scons MSVC6 builds started showing some strange
> behaviour:
> When i start gameengine on default scene (the one it starts out of the
> box:: 1 cube, 1 light, 1 camera .. ) CPU usage goes up to 100% and it
> takes 10 seconds until display changes to "game look alike" still CPU is
> up a 100% . When i hit ESC it comes back after a while and all is fine.

CPU usage should definately be 100% in the game engine! No use wasting those
CPU cycles when we could be drawing more frames!

What is the framerate (turn on Game->Show Framerate & Profile) ?  And what
happens if you disable Shadows in scene buttons?

What graphics card do you have?  If it is trying to do shadows in software...
> On the console is a warning:
> Light "Spot" ShadowBufferSize is evil. Forcing to good value: 2048
>
> Weird since the only light in scene is a "Lamp" , may be that gives you
> a hint.
That's not it, since normal lamps still have the bufshadow variable, it's just
hidden in the interface.  The warning is that the shadow buffer size is not a
power of two, which is required because it is a texture.