[tuhopuu-devel] UVEditor suggestions

Brecht Van Lommel tuhopuu-devel@blender.org
01 Apr 2004 19:07:55 +0000

Hi,

On Thu, 2004-04-01 at 14:44, malefico andauer wrote:
> I'm following very excited the way development on
> UVEditor is going on.
> I have a couple of suggestions/feature requests for
> the people working on this to consider.
>
> 1- Face/Vertex select mode indication: besides the
> ideas you are handling about using icons, it could be
> done by hiding all vertices and keeping only the edges
> when in face select mode, and showing them up again
> when in vertex mode. A hotkey for changing modes is
> definetely needed (maybe "F" ?).

Assigning hotkeys will be done shortly. F seems a reasonable choice for
Active Face Select. Bjornmose will choose the keys for these features,
these are his features, so it's up to him to pick them (and get blamed
for picking bad ones ;).

I don't think it's a good idea to hide the vertices. Most other tools in
the UV editor work based on selected vertices. So it is important you
can see the selected vertices before applying that tool. We could have
these features disabled in that mode, but I don't like the idea of
having something like Faceselect mode in the 3d view, were you can only
do face-related things. I like this to be a selection only feature.

> 2- Keyboard input for scaling/translating axis
> selection. I mean, if I want to scale in Y, avoid the
> frantic_click_while_dragging system, and let the user
> just hit the X or Y key.

That's acceptable. Currently X and Y are used for mirroring. Maybe I
should make that available under the MKEY. I'm not a big fan of the -1
typing in transform mode, but if people really like it I can add that
too.

> 3- New Image in Image menu. I think I've already
> annoyed people about this, but some weirdos DO create
> texture paint from scratch and not only use it for
> retouching (mind you !), and I don't think ot would
> too hard to implemement (considering what you have
> done so far...). It could be like NewFile from Gimp,
> asking teh user for XY resolution, and background
> colour, that's it.

Probably not hard to code, although I don't know much about the image
buffer code. Only problem is how to do this user inteface-wise. A popup
is not sufficient, we can't add anything to the header, and it's doesn't
really fit in the buttons window, cause it's image window related. I've
been thinking about adding such a transparent panel like in the 3d view
there. We could is it for the lost grid, repeat, anim, ... buttons too.
These things are on my todo list (although not quite at the top). I'll
see what I can do, but I can't promise it will be in 2.33.

Cheers,
Brecht