[tuhopuu-devel] Thanks for Tuhopuu!

Jo Bealz tuhopuu-devel@blender.org
Thu, 25 Sep 2003 11:40:30 +0100 (BST)

I have recently switched most of my Blender task to
Tuhopuu versions of Blender. Why?
Because its more progressive modeling tools and
translation functions allow me to work more
productively in Blender. My version of choice to use
is Ztony’s compile of Tuhopuu-2003-09-13. It’s the
most stable version for my workflow.

I have concluded that from the types of features that
are being added on to the Tuhopuu releases, modeling
and translation tools are of higher importance to
Blender users than some of the other features. I model
a lot of 3d buildings. In the course of a work day I
use the new loopcutting tools and the new translation
tools with Shift-Ctrl-T extensively. If I need to add
some more geometry I loopcut it, to extrude an edge I
use Shift-Ctrl-T.
In my modeling process I first base block out the base
cuts in every base object that I will need for a scene
project. I then save these as the starting point of
any models that I will need during the remainder of my
project. Loopcutting has made this process extremely
faster for me. And if I want to send out anything to
Wings3d or another 3d app, the base models are ready
to go.

I could stop here and just say thanks to all involved
in the Tuhopuu2 project. And I thank all of you for
sure. But let me step up to the mic for a bit. Cause,
I’ve been messing with the Tuhopuu2 and I like where
Blender is headed. And the Blender users are a part of
this development process.

I would like to take this moment in time to add a few
ideas into the pot.  If it is not too much, I would
like to add a little “hot sauce”. Hehe. Even though,
if messed around with some more of the features in
Tuhopuu2 I’d bite into a big juicy hidden Jalapeño.
Mummmmm! And I think that as we discover new ways to
use what we have already discovered about Blender we
can progress into other areas more quickly.

As I said before, I start my Blender modeling projects
by first preparing sets of base objects that are
pre-cut with the loopcut tool for future modeling
manipulation. This process got me to thinking. What if
there was a way that a Blender 3d modeler could record
or store a modeling session or multiple sessions for
later use. This would be kind of like making your own
Morph primitives, but much more powerful. Then the
user could apply those saved sessions to a Blender
Cube, Plane, etc. in a similar manner as the loopcut
is applied when you use Ctrl-R. This could be a
session involving loopcutting, vertex translation,
extrusion, shaping, etc. These modeled sessions could
maybe require that the objects are modeled with even
numbered quads sections only. For instance, a plane
that is cut and extruded in all quads could have that
process recorded (like Photoshop Actions).

Say that the plane modeling session was the base model
for a coffee table, loopcut formed with six quads and
extruded on the z axis three times. Then the top most
edge loop of extruded quads was selected and extruded
outward to form a ledge. Then this plane modeling
session is saved. Another model is started, a cabinet
from a cube. But before you start loopcutting away at
this new model you select  your last saved modeling
session. You want the table and the cabinet to be a
set of furnishings that have the some of the same
shape characteristics. So you go into edit mode select
the Ctrl-Shift-R the edgeloop of the new cube that is
to be a cabinet. Then you  Ctrl-click something to
select the previously saved coffee table session. All
of a sudden, the cube is beginning to shape up like a
cabinet with an edge to seconds. I’d imagine that this
method of modeling would require that you keep all
sessions to a certain number of quads so that if you
were to add on three more levels of session to a first
added session modeled cube the points would line up
evenly. Hopefully this idea does not bring up any new
problems as far a implementation issues that have
already been solved.

Here is another idea. In my case, using the Dupliverts
to duplicate objects to a selected point is not as
precise as using the curser tools. In many cases some
forms of geometry are just to complex and perfect in
form to be extruded into shape. I often add arched
windows to some of my buildings. I use Blenders Curves
to create perfectly shaped arched window shapes, then
convert them to a mesh object and extrude them into
shape. I find that it is easier to add there arches to
all of the window frame areas of a building if I go to
edit mode and select the top edge between the two side
edges of the window frame and  Shift-S, more curser to
selection. Then I exit edit mode and select the arched
window object and Shift-S, move selection to curser.
Then I repeat this process for all of  the window
frames where I want to place arched windows on my
building.

Could there be a feature added that allows the curser
to be duplicated such as , Shift-S, (move curser to
center of all selected faces), etc. This may be a
useful feature to add.

I hope that these ideas are not to far-fetched to be
considered.

That’s all folks. Thanks again!