[tuhopuu-devel] Adding Kesterji

Chris Want tuhopuu-devel@blender.org
Tue, 02 Sep 2003 20:50:54 -0600

OK, time to discuss adding Kester's ODE enhancements.

The problems we have to overcome are the
following:

* It depends on the ODE and OPCODE from cvs,
not on the stuff that is in the bf-blender
lib module.

* ODE has an even weirder build system than
blender, and is painful to build, if not
impossible on some platforms. (I had to do some
rather kludgy hacks to get the windows/gcc
version to compile in a way that would like
to tuhopuu correctly).

* When solid is released we'll want to add
that to tuhopuu also, and if there are a lot
of mods to the gameblender stuff that will
make reintroducing solid more difficult.

So, with these points in mind, here is a
proposal for getting this code into cvs,
in a way that I hope causes the least
amount of problems for everybody:

1) duplicate the source/gameengine dir, call
it source/kesterji perhaps, and add kester's
ODE work to that dir.

2) have a source/kesterji/ode dir that has
precompiled libs and headers for various
platforms so that folks don't have to
build them themselves. I hope folks will
help with this, as I can't do it all myself.

3) have a variable in the top level Makefile
called NAN_KESTERJI, which if set to true
sets NAN_ODE (if not already set to
something else in the user's env) to
source/kesterji/ode/<platform>,
and builds the game engine in source/kesterji.
If NAN_KESTERJI is not set to true the build system
builds the regular game engine in source/gameengine
and uses the regular NAN_ODE.

4) after solid is integrated back into the
gameengine, we can discuss ways to merge the
source/kesterji code into the source/gameengine
code.

Hope that makes sense to everybody ... any comments,
questions, or concerns about this? Any factors that I
neglected in this proposal? Is there another
way that would make better sense?

Chris

P.S. Next Sunday LarsiQ and myself will be performing
the first bf-blender->tuhopuu2 merge so I'd like to
wait until that is done before doing the work on
getting Kester's code in there (merging will be
done periodically to combat the need for creating
a 'tuhopuu3' tree).