[tuhopuu-devel] Menu Guidelines

Matt Ebb tuhopuu-devel@blender.org
Mon, 15 Dec 2003 00:05:15 +1100

Hi,

I've recently written up some guidelines describing the new pulldown
menus in Blender 2.30+. I'd hoped to get this done earlier, but
documentation's always a sticking point ;) This is of use to developers
wanting to add new features to the menus, to the Python developers
and/or scripters wanting to know where to put their scripts, in the
proposed Python access to menus. It would help a lot to keep things in
sync if people can update the menus concurrently, when they update
space.c to add new hotkeys.

The document explains the information design of the current menu
structure itself, through window spaces, modes, selections, and also
the design and creation of the menu elements themselves. It is a work
in progress, as not all of Blender's window spaces have the necessary
menus added yet, and it's possible that some of the layout may need to
be changed as we receive feedback from users, or find that we need to
make room for more extensibility in certain areas.

The document is available here:
http://www.blender.org/docs/UIGuidelines/menus/menus-intro.html

and is linked from the Documentation section of www.blender.org.

I hope to do something similar about the UI controls, whenever some
free time is available.

Cheers

Matt