[spe] Can't get spe to work :-(

www.stani.be s_t_a_n_i at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 22 01:23:15 CEST 2005

Hi,
It will still take some effort to get spe to work, but
I need a lot of feedback from that. Especially from
Apple users.
I'm in a constant state of debugging. Bug reports like
this are very useful. The first issue is solved in
latest release (now is i, might be z when you read
this ;-) )
Please keep on testing and describe things in a
reconstructable way. Post from now on detailed reports
on the bug tracker:
https://developer.berlios.de/bugs/?group_id=4161

>From now on follow these steps:
- type "python SPE_.py --debug > debug.txt" at the
command prompt
- publish debug.txt on the bug tracker describing how
you did it, so it is reconstructable. Mention the
versions of spe, wxpython and python. And of course
check if the bug is not reported yet.

Thanks,
Stani

--- André Roberge <andre.roberge at gmail.com> wrote:

> About 10 months ago, I discovered SPE.  The more I
> used it,
> the more I loved it.  I even made a small donation
> (the
> only open source program I ever contributed to
> financially).
>
> About three months ago, I upgraded wxPython (from
> 2.3.5 I believe)
> to 2.4, spe stopped working, and I had to use
> something else.
> (I currently use Komodo.)
>
> With the recent announcements, I gave it a try
> again.
>
> After making a few mistakes (like simply removing
> the _spe and sm
> directories rather than doing an "uninstall" from
> the control panel),
> I finally got spe to start.
>
> I use:
> Python 2.4.1
> wxPython 2.6.1.0 unicode
> spe 0.7.4.e  (title bar says 0.7.4.a)
> on Windows XP
>
> (The new version is not "installed" anymore...)
>
> When I try to open a python file, nothing seems to
> happen, and here is
> what I get as an error message:
>
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>    File
> "C:\Python24\Lib\site-packages\_spe\Menu.py", line
> 208, in
> menu_open_files
>      self.parentPanel.open(event)
>    File
> "C:\Python24\Lib\site-packages\_spe\Parent.py", line
> 227, in open
>      child.frame.onFrameClose()
>    File
> "C:\Python24\lib\site-packages\sm\wxp\smdi.py", line
> 672, in
> onFrameClose
>      self.dead =
> Framework.onFrameClose(self,destroy=0)
>    File
> "C:\Python24\lib\site-packages\sm\wxp\smdi.py", line
> 319, in
> onFrameClose
>      self.dead = self.panel.onClose()
>    File
> "C:\Python24\Lib\site-packages\_spe\Child.py", line
> 397, in onClose
>      if

len(self.app.children)==1:self.parentPanel.menuBar.enable(0)