[spe.pycs.net] Re: Unicode Encoding?

Benno Dielmann mail at benno-dielmann.de
Wed Nov 24 15:30:40 CET 2004

On Tuesday 23 November 2004 21:11, Chris Spencer wrote:
| Benno Dielmann wrote:
| > I'll paste in my solution to this problem which I posted to this mailing
| > list some time ago. So here it comes:
|
| [snip]
|
| Thanks, that did the trick. That and changing the font to one which
| supports Asian characters. Although this hack is far from streamlined.
| This trick assumes that all your files will conform to this encoding,
| ignoring Python's protocol to list the encoding at the top of the file,
| e.g. # -*- coding: utf-8 -*- for utf-8. It'd be nice to have a drop-down
| menu that let's you select an encoding, akin to a web-browser, or let
| the SPE auto-detect the encoding for each file.

Does this really ignore the # -*- coding: ... - string at the top of the file?
As far as I understand it sets the default encoding which applies if there
isn't any encoding specified (i.e. no such coding string).

Why couldn't spe just (auto-)detect the encoding by parsing this coding string
instead of the user manually selecting the encoding in some drop-down box?
One whould just have to put the proper coding-string on top of each file
which is recommended anyway, I think. Python (2.3) prints a deprecation
warning anyway if there are non-ascii characters in the file and no encoding
specified.

Perhaps spe could support the user constructing the coding-string. There we
have the drop-down box again ;-). But this box whould just construct a proper
python coding string and past it in the right place in the file.

What do you think about it?

Have fun,

Benno.