[spe.pycs.net] Unicode Encoding?

Chris Spencer ckspencer at verizon.net
Tue Nov 23 06:34:39 CET 2004

I'm trying to embed Japanese characters in my source using Unicode, and
SPE keeps giving me: UnicodeEncodeError: 'latin-1' codec can't encode
characters in position 1530-1531: ordinal not in range(256). How do you
change SPE's encoding to utf-8 or utf-16? This problem caught me
off-guard because I was able to embedded unicode just fine using IDLE
(it even displays correctly), but then it broke when I reloaded the file
in SPE. SPE is a great editor, let's not give IDLE bragging rights over it.