[spe.pycs.net] minor installation problem (and workaround) with 0.5.1.g on Linux

www.stani.be s_t_a_n_i at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 11 23:03:03 CET 2004

--- Michael Surette <msurette at laframboise.net> wrote:

> I downloaded spe from blender.org for my Linux box
> (Slackware 10) and when
> I tried to untar it I got the following message:
>
> tar: This does not look like a tar archive
> tar: Skipping to next header
> tar: Archive contains obsolescent base-64 headers
> tar: Read 514 bytes from /home/mikes/My
> Downloads/SPE-0.5.1.g-wx2.4.2.4.-bl2.31.tar.gz
Did you download with Mozilla/firefox? I know of this
issue, but it seems to be a bug in Mozilla. If you
download it with wget or something it should be fine.
This warning is mentioned on http://spe.pycs.net

> I then tried to untar it on my Windows machine using
> Ultimate Zip and it
> worked!  I then copied it to my Linux machine and
> installed it.  Since I
> wanted to use the latest wxGlade (0.3.5.1) and
> wxPython(2.5.2.8), I went
> to the plugins directory and moved the wxGlade
> subdirectory out of the way
> and made wxGlade a symbolic link to my current
> wxglade installation.

Next version will ship with the new wxGlade version
and will be compatible with the new Blender release
from sunday.

> After light testing, I am happy to say that I have
> no spe related
> problems,
Luckily because spe is supposed to run without
problems on Linux.

> although I do have an error message on
> startup:
> "can't open file
> '/usr/share/mime-info/gimp-1.3.keys'(error 2: No
> such
> file or directory)".  I believe this is a gtk issue.
Yes because it doesn't look like spe would need this
kind of file.

Thanks for using spe,
Stani