[spe.pycs.net] Re: Re: Poll: SDI or MDI for Linux as default?

Jorge Godoy godoy at ieee.org
Fri May 7 18:29:27 CEST 2004

On Sex 07 Mai 2004 11:34, Nigel Rowe wrote:

> KDE User interface guidelines
>
> In MDI the application is represented by the application-window. The
> application-window can contain a number of document-windows. Each opened
> document is represented by a document-window. KDE applications should not
> use this model, but use the SDI model instead.

Interestingly Konqueror's interface is initially MDI based, even though you
can create new MDI windows... Using it as a file explorer you can select
different profiles with the tabs on the left, that give the impression you
have different windows.

It is also true for other apps...

With regards to Gnome, they also use MDI for several applications like, to
name one, Gnucash (this is an excellent application!).

I find the screen clearer and better to manage this way... If using SDI,
there should be a parent window that can be closed or minimized that takes
all the children with it. It's really boring to minimize 10 windows of the
same program...

--
Godoy.      <godoy at ieee.org>