[spe.pycs.net] Re: Poll: SDI or MDI for Linux as default?

Jorge Godoy godoy at ieee.org
Fri May 7 18:12:43 CEST 2004

On Sex 07 Mai 2004 12:23, www.stani.be wrote:

> Hi ,
> Let me first reassure all SDI enthousiasts that from
> now on SDI will always be implemented. The reason is
> very simple, Mac can't handle MDI very well, and I
> want spe definitely on the Mac platform. However in
> the next version MDI will be the default for Linux,
> but once again this can't be changed in the
> preferences.
>
> Ionutz, thanks for your proposal. I think number 1 is
> already quite implemented and number two looks very
> nice, but there is not yet code for floatable/dockable
> windows provided by wxPython (only for a single
> dockable toolbar).  Of course I could do this myself,
> but I would prefer to spend that time in other things,
> like solving all the mac bugs, implementing more
> plugins, better autocomplete, debugger, ... But if you
> feel tempted to write a class for dockable/floatable
> windows, I would be happy to implement it for spe.
> Stani

What's the name of that other widget that happens to help here... Hmmm... I
think it's sash window... I'll have a look at the demo... One second,
please...

SashWindow.

It's at .../demo/wxSashWindow.py.

Associating sash with or without tabs seems to be *very* interesting and
'elegant' and also solves the problem of looking at different parts of the
code or at different files. This is what I used to have on Emacs ;-), with
several buffers either hidden or simultaneously shown. Imagining each tab
as a buffer and having sashwindows in them would be interesting.

Take a look at the 'wxMultiSash' demo, in the 'More Windows/Controls'
section and at the 'wxSashWindow' in the 'Core Windows/Controls' section.

Be seeing you,
--
Godoy.      <godoy at ieee.org>