[spe.pycs.net] Re: Poll: SDI or MDI for Linux as default?

Ionutz Borcoman borco at go.ro
Fri May 7 15:27:22 CEST 2004

I am also for MDI.

MDI apps like Visual Studio, has a box where the files are shown. You
can maximize your file (and see only one file at a time) or you can
cascade, tile, etc. the open files and see what you like. The code
browser, output window, etc can be 'docked' or 'floated' on the sides of
the main frame.

My proposal is this:

1. Edited files should be viewable in the middle region of the main
frame. The region should show tabs with the name of the edited files.
The active tab should correspond to the active file. If the files are
maximized, they would take all avilable space. If not, the user could
tile or cascade the files (from a menu item) or resize the files with
the mouse.

2. The 'utility' windows (like output windows, code browser, etc.)
should allow grouping in toolboxes. The toolboxes could 'float' or be
docked on the right, left or bottom sides of the main window (the top
side should allow only for the normal toolbar and menubar). The user
should be able to move a 'utility' window from one toolbox to another by
dragging its tab from one toolbox and dropping it to another. If the tab
is not dropped on another toolbox, a new toolbox containing only this
'utility' window should be created.

This model is similar with the Adobe one (and with what the new Gimp 2
is doing).

Ionutz

________ Information from NOD32 ________
http://www.nod32.com