[spe.pycs.net] New spe (buggy alpha) version released!!

www.stani.be s_t_a_n_i at yahoo.com
Sat May 1 03:26:46 CEST 2004

Hi all,
Thanks for being so numerous on this list. After a lot
of hard work I just released a new spe version, which
you can download here:
http://projects.blender.org/project/showfiles.php?group_id=30&release_id=168
Unfortunately I have problems updating the
spe.pycs.net website, so you won't find any
information there.  I would especially like to ask to
all Linux and Mac users to test this version as quick
as possible.  Maybe it won't even work, as it is a
major rewrite.  So the sooner I get feedback, the
sooner everything get solved.  I'll leave on the 5th
of may for two weeks, so than I can't really work on
spe. This weekend I have time free, so it would be
perfect if all bugs are solved by than. Please read
carefully following text, which is included in
spe_changes.txt
Good luck,
Stani

So...

This is a major rewrite because of wxPython 2.5.
WARNING: This first alpha release will be for testing
purposes only.  So don't use for development work or
use it at its own risk (as I do myself).  This release
should be quite bug free for Windows XP, but probably
for Linux and Mac OS X a lot of debugging should be
done.

Before installing remove the file 'defaults.cfg' from
your user path (see Help>About if you don't know your
path). Also remove the 'sm' module folder from the
site-packages path. Otherwise this will cause errors.

The first goal is now to make spe running and alive
for Linux and Mac Os X.  This has all priority.
Please run spe with the debug option (python SPE.py
--debug) I expect that spe probably on these platforms
won't even startup (missing files, bugs, ...), but
don't let this discourage you. Together we'll manage.
If spe doesn't startup, see if you can run the file
sm/wxp/smdi.py.  Run this file with MDI=0 and MDI=1
(second line in code).

Out of the box SPE chooses automatically the
framework:
  - MDI for Windows XP
  - SDI for Linux and Mac Os X

However you can override these settings in the
preferences dialog box, but Mac doesn't really support
MDI.

I didn't check yet the Blender support, that's for
later when the new Blender2.33 comes out.

PS. Alberto Griggio about current version of wxGlade
(http://wxglade.sourceforge.net):

WARNING: There have been reported many problems
running wxGlade with the just released wxPython
2.5.1.5: we know this, and we're trying to do our best
to fix them as soon as possible. In the meantime, we
recommend to use wxPython 2.4: the generated code will
be compatible with 2.5 anyway. Sorry for this...

:Batteries included:
  - Kiki:
      Regular Expression (regex) console. For more
info:
      http://project5.freezope.org/kiki/index.html
  - PyChecker:
      PyChecker is a tool for finding bugs in python
source code. It
      finds problems that are typically caught by a
compiler for
      less dynamic languages, like C and C++. It is
similar to lint.
      For more info: http://pychecker.sourceforge.net
  - wxGlade:
      wxGlade is a GUI designer written in Python with
the
      popular GUI toolkit wxPython, that helps you
create
      wxWindows/wxPython user interfaces. As you can
guess by the
      name, its model is Glade, the famous GTK+/GNOME
GUI builder,
      with which wxGlade shares the philosophy and the
look & feel
      (but not a line of code). For more info:
      http://wxglade.sourceforge.net

:New features:
  - both MDI/SDI support
  - Mac OS X support (probably still need a lot of
debugging, volunteers wanted)
  - tabs with open files
  - realtime sidebar (class explorer, todo & index
update as you type!)
  - wxPython 2.5 support (latest 2.4 also still
supported)
  - option to limit calltips to first paragraph
  - speed improvements, SPE runs now (much?) more fast

:Bug fixes:
  - cut, copy and paste shortcuts work now in shell

:Known issues:
  - SPE can only be started from its own directory
(site-packages/_spe/SPE.py) As a consequence any batch
script or windowsInstall (therefore not included)
won't work.  I'll try to fix this as soon as possible.

:Requirements:
  - full python 2.2.2+
  - wxpython 2.4.1.2+
  - optional blender 2.31+