[spe.pycs.net] Re: tar.gz releases

Andrei project5 at redrival.net
Thu Jan 15 19:44:09 CET 2004

idfx at comcast.net wrote on Wed, 14 Jan 2004
19:24:39 +0000:

>   You might like ALZip.   (http://www.alzip.com)
> It handles about 30 different kinds of archives
> and I think it's got the folder-tarring skills
> you're looking for.

I don't know how old this topic is, but here's my 2 cents. You could use
7-zip (http://www.7-zip.org/, GPL, small and inobtrusive). It has command
line support so you can write a batch file/python script for it (it's two
lines of code and you get one-click tar-gzing - if you go the Python route
you can even do some preprocessing on the files, like inserting version
numbers and/or copyrights). You can even specify command lines for 7-xip to
build SFX files if I'm not mistaken, so you can have the batch file create
them too for Win users. It's how I pack my apps and it works like a charm
:).

--
Yours,

Andrei

=====
Mail address in header catches spam. Real contact info (decode with rot13):
cebwrpg5 at jnanqbb.ay. Fcnz-serr! Cyrnfr qb abg hfr va choyvp cbfgf. V ernq
gur yvfg, fb gurer'f ab arrq gb PP.