[spe.pycs.net] welcome

Paul Evans pevans at catholic.org
Sat Dec 13 18:32:32 CET 2003

On December 13, 2003 04:37 am, Rasjid Wilcox wrote:
> You do however, have a slight problem, which is the use of the -e flag in
> your default options.  The use of the -e paramater is not compatible with
> having a terminal that hangs around for user input.  With the -e flag, the
> terminal will terminal gets created, runs the command, and then exits and
> closes immediately.  So "xterm -e 'cd /some/path/'" will display an xterm
> for under a second (while it changes to /some/path) and then it will close
> the said xterm.  I would either move the '-e' flag either into the code, or
> if people
The usual way to do this is with -hold.

Example:
xterm -e date

The window wouldn't even last long enough to read the output, but
xterm -hold -e date

will sit there forever until you nuke it.

I was going to post the man page, but that's a bit not nice to people on dial
up -- like me when I go back home :-)

Here's a link to some on-line searchable man pages:
http://www.linuxcentral.com/linux/man-pages/

and here's the link to the xterm man page at that site:
http://www.linuxcentral.com/linux/man-pages/xterm.1x.html

Most linux commands have a man (manual) page like this.

Hope that helps.

--
Regards, Paul Evans