[Soc-2018-dev] Weekly Report #01 - Many Light Sampling

Erik Englesson erikenglesson at gmail.com
Sun May 20 21:01:56 CEST 2018

Hi all,

I hope you had a great weekend. Here is my report for the first week:
Week 1

I knew beforehand that I would not have a lot of time to spend on the GSoC
project while studying full-time. This is why I only planned
<https://wiki.blender.org/index.php/User:Erikenglesson/GSoC_2018/Proposal>
to get a better understanding of the codebase and read up on details of the
paper until May 30th. I will therefore not have much to put in the first
weekly reports. I am looking forward to the summer when I can spend
full-time on this.
This week

I have not had a lot of time to spend on the project this week, but I did
the following:

   - *Code*: Created my own git branch
   - *Review of theory*: Reviewed bounding volume hierarchy
   theory(construction algorithms, surface area heuristic etc) in the
   Physically Based Rendering book <http://pbrt.org/>
   - *Paper*: I had a look at the paper/slides
   <https://sites.google.com/site/ckulla/home/many-lights> again,
   especially the tree construction parts. There are some details of the paper
   that are unclear, e.g. the "uncertainty angle", which I might have to ask
   the authors about.

Plan for next week

Next week is the start of the exam period, which means I will have even
less time for the project. That being said, I would still like to get a
better understanding of the relevant Cycles code.

The report can be found here as well:
https://wiki.blender.org/index.php/User:Erikenglesson/GSoC_2018/Reports/Week_1#Weekly_Report_-_Week_1

Thanks,
Erik