[Soc-2018-dev] Weekly report #06 - Bevel Improvements

Rohan Rathi rohanrathi08 at gmail.com
Sat Jun 23 12:43:47 CEST 2018

This is the weekly report for the sixth week.

What I did this week:

Added support for assigning face weights to newly generated faces in the
bevel modifier for use in the weighted normal modifier. Works by checking
the face strength option in bevel mod and selecting the desired face
strength in normal tools.

Added proper UI to harden normals and implemented the functionality in the
modifier as well. Has similar working to weighted normal modifier. strength
parameter acts as a delta between original and resultant normals.

Spent a lot of time trying to fix discontinuity in shading. As the error is
not in part of corrupted normals but rather mesh orientation, it is much
more tougher to fix. A general solution to the issue may not be possible,
so will have to fix on a case by case basis. I've implemented a fix to
specifically resolve task (https://developer.blender.org/T40075) and
generalised it as much as I could.

What I plan on doing next week:

I will look into other shading discontinuities and attempt to resolve them
as well. I'll also look more to use custom normals to fix the problem.
Then I'll begin work on custom profile curve.

Have a nice weekend!

ᐧ