[Soc-2018-dev] Weekly Report #10 - Further Development for Cycles' Volume Rendering

Brecht Van Lommel brechtvanlommel at gmail.com
Fri Jul 27 12:11:18 CEST 2018

On Thu, Jul 26, 2018 at 7:27 PM Geraldine Chua <chua.gsk at gmail.com> wrote:

> Trying with a quick patch of the above suggestions, VDB to sparse grid
> conversion drops from 33 to 2 seconds! There still needs to be a bit of
> handling, like off the top of my head, non-8x8x8 grids need to be iterated
> through manually (are there VDBs that actually do this?), and loading Vec3
> leaves into float4 arrays (cast to float) requires adding a dummy 1.0f
> every 4th slot, so even with directly copying the leaf there still needs to
> be some post-processing.

That's a great improvement!

I think it's safe to assume all grids are 8x8x8. By default OpenVDB only
registers the grid types from openvdb.h which all use (1 << 3) = 8, and
that means only those can be read. It's possible to register more grid
types and read/write them, but I don't know of any software doing this, and
such files would not be readable by most other software.

> Aside from the above patch and some experimental other things, I have just
> uploaded everything to my gsoc branch. Feel free to have a look when you
> can :)

Thanks,
Brecht.