[Soc-2018-dev] YimingWu Week 8 Report

n w xp8110 at live.com
Tue Jul 10 06:26:51 CEST 2018

GSoC Week8

YimingWu
Hello everyone, here's my week 8 report! Very sorry about the delay, I just arrived home from school and during the weekend I had a offine meetup with local BlenderCN community members. Please let me know if there's anything I missed during the time.

Things have done

  1.  Multithread line occlusion test is OK. Now software calculation runs even faster than before. See 59d878a.

  2.  Found out that overlapping edges will result in strange occlusion result, thus removing edge split modifier works better. For some models that already have split the edges, an option can be added to enable some pre-process the mesh before all the calculations start. (not added yet) See ca4144a.

  3.  Object/material/collection-based line selection functions are added as planed, now user can select desired line types based on these three qualifiers, and preview the result in both DPIX and Software modes. This is a little bit like the one in Freestyle, but there are some difference in design to make it easier to use and to understand, it also includes some features that Freestyle don't have. See 54172dc. Also see this FAQ for detail: http://www.wellobserve.com/#!NPR/2018Summer/logs/Explained.md#FAQ

  4.  Improved user interface, using the new grouping API (or something like that...), different arguments are now categorized and reused in different algorithm choices. Also improved intersection calculation display, allowing user to cleary understand the state. See 07b7fae.

  5.  Try to fix F12 but no luck. (:'/ why..)

  6.  Reported that gcc tool chain have some problems compiling the code, already fixed.

Next week

  1.  Figure out a way to export vector data as svg. Users have feedback that shows the need of vector data for other composition software to work with.

     *   This includes line chainning and image space reducing, which can then be exported as a fluent curve (or multi-segment straight lines).

  2.  Make DPIX's data texture size into a auto-decide or user selectable one, now it is hard coded 2048*2048.

  3.  DPIX preview's depth offset need some redo, now only uses simple constant depth offset, but z-buffer is non-linear so in line result preview, something like glPolygonOffset() should be implemented.

  4.  Still try to solve F12 problem.

  5.  I'll spend more time documenting LANPR, and explain how to use it.

  6.  Snake algorithm shows some bugs that some feature lines will disappear in certain angles.

  7.  Match the code with blender's naming conventions. (some code from my own program is in a different style)

Questions

Seems there are not much questions now. If there's any I will ask in IRC when I'm coding.
Regards,

YimingWu