[Soc-2018-dev] Weekly report #07 - Bevel Improvements

Rohan Rathi rohanrathi08 at gmail.com
Sun Jul 1 15:55:39 CEST 2018

Here is my 7th weekly report,

What I did this week:

Started out by adding the interface for the normal shading functionality to
be present in the bevel modifier. Added a default mode which doesn't alter
any normals and different methods presenting varied functionality.

Added face strength option to the interface as well to store the face
strength of the beveled faces in scene->tool_settings->face_strength

Did some minor cleanup of the code. In working on normal shading continuity
I've come to realise how quickly performance in bevel can degrade, so I'm
taking extra caution to make functionality as feasible.

Lastly, I've added a separate method to deal with normal shading continuity
when the subdivision algorithm executes. Works by smoothing out edges of
vmesh generated for the bevvert. Added it as an option to harden mode but
doesn't access the rest of the interface features.

What I plan on doing next week:
I will be cleaning up the rest of the code, do performance fixes and
release a build for testing, I also intend on finishing up custom profile
curve next week. After that I'll also work on fixing normal editing
compatibility in 2.8

ᐧ