[Soc-2018-dev] Weekly Report #12 - Further Development for Cycles' Volume Rendering

Geraldine Chua chua.gsk at gmail.com
Sat Aug 4 16:50:54 CEST 2018

This week's work has mostly been reviewing and fixing most issues brought
up on the current branch (thanks to Brecht for reviewing and providing
comments!). You can refer to the previous weekly report's email chain for
details, but in general:

* Fixed sparse grid implementation for CUDA/OpenCL (will still need to be
tested).
* Removed dependency on intern/openvdb. While this results in some
duplicate code, it is better in the long run for Cycles to work stand-alone.
* General renaming and tweaking of variables and UI.

Since I had some extra time, I started working on some minor functions to
make OpenVDB import smoother on Blender side, such as importing multiple
frames and simplification of VDB data for viewport (for computers that
can't handle large VDBs (like mine :P))

For this last week, it will mostly be writing up my final report, bug
fixes, merging, and a simple documentation on how to use the OpenVDB
importer and Volume Motion Blur.