[Soc-2017-dev] Weekly Report #01 - Normal Editing Tools

Rohan Rathi rohanrathi08 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 2 19:39:40 CEST 2017

What I did this week:

Fairly rudimentary work. Cached the custom loop normal spaces for the mesh
and added a mechanic to detect when the loop normal spaces are dirty and
rebuild the loop normal space array.

Other than that I developed a much stronger understanding of BMesh Ops. All
bmesh ops that are executed should now either flag the loops of the
modified geometry or invalidate the entire loop normal space array of the
mesh.

What I plan on doing next week:

Now that this is cleared, I think I can focus on writing the actual tools
that will manipulate the custom normal. My first goal was to add the
ability to rotate normals. I've studied modal rotation already and most
likely will have added this ability by the end of next week.

Although all BMesh Ops that modify geometry are taken care of, there are
other tools that manipulate geometry like modal transform. So I need to
figure out a way to invalidate the loop normal spaces in this case. This
will be my prior task along with normal rotation.

Links:
My proposal:
https://wiki.blender.org/index.php/User:RohanRathi/GSoC_2017/Proposal
Git branch: