[Soc-2017-dev] Weekly Report #07 - Mantaflow Particles and Fluid Guiding

Gottfried Hofmann gottfried at blenderdiplom.com
Sun Jul 16 13:47:22 CEST 2017

Hello Nils,

On 16.07.2017 12:46, Nils Thuerey wrote:
> And to quickly re-cap our discussion from Friday: it's an interesting
> question how to best design and implement an inflow feature for liquids.
> A UI widget to show and set the inflow direction is important, and we
> discussed using planes (as currently done for smoke). The problem there
> is that planes don't have a volume, but the volume is crucial for
> generating the FLIP particles of a liquid sim.

I'm not familiar with the internals of FLIP fluids so I wonder why it is
difficult to spawn them on a plane (which can be done with regular
particles in Blender for example)?

I'd also like to add that I would appreciate if the inflow feature would
be designed in a way that it can be expanded in the future. One thing
you can do in Houdini that is really cool is that you can use a texture
or a force field to define initial velocity (or mix that influence in).
That can be used to for example add that extra tidbit of realism to the
simulation of a water faucet.

Cheers,
Gottfried

Gottfried Hofmann