[Soc-2017-dev] Daily Report - Jul 13 - Package Manager

Ellwood Zwovic gandalf3 at blendermonkey.com
Fri Jul 14 10:42:10 CEST 2017

Today I added repository fetching and a simple package browser interface.

Some questions:

I tried to find a way to have the packagelist be scroll-able
independently from the options on the side. Is there a way to allow,
say, a box to have its own scrollbar? The only element I found which
seems to come with a scrollbar is a UIlist. I haven't tried it yet, but
it doesn't quite seem appropriate (all the

I also noticed that the panel draw method is being called on scroll
events; seemingly causing degraded performance (in fact, I noticed this
with the current addon browser too). I can certainly do some things to
optimize the draw method, but I'm curious if there's a short explanation
of why this is. Is there actually a way for python to pick up on scroll
events and modify things meaningfully?

On a rather unrelated note, how strict are the requirements for the
bl_info dict? I've been thinking it would be nice to have a changelog
url. If I check for such a key and display it if it exists, is that all
there is to it? In other words, can anyone put anything in bl_info and
it will just be left alone unless blender picks up on it?

Plans for tomorrow: clean up repository (I didn't get to it today), add
expanded view of packages (like the addon browser), and add tracking of
installed packages.